Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Wine? Yes, please!


Self-guided tour of the vineyard

Aidan picking some grapes :)




      This past Saturday we made a day trip to a local winery, Rosa Fiorelli Winery. One of our good friends and Aric's fellow medical school slave student has been raving about the wine, the owner, the vineyard, basically everything about this place. He is Italian so, needless to say, he enjoys wine just a bit. I We didn't want to go when I was pregnant (for obvious reasons) and even though I am still nursing Aidan, we decided to give it a try.

     This was the first vineyard I had ever been too. It was awesome to walk around the grounds, see, and even taste the wine grapes. The grapes definitely taste better when made into wine; they felt and tasted like very unripe, sour, plain grapes. Aidan loves being outside so he really liked walking around the vineyard as well; he even helped us pick a couple of grapes!

     How was the wine tasting? Oh, I thought you'd never ask! It was delicious and our (for lack of a better word) server was great! We sampled 11 different wines. Since Aidan did not want to fast that day, I just BARELY tasted them. Our server walked us through some different ways to drink, or 'eat' as he explained it, the wine so that we could enjoy every flavor of the wine. It was pretty cool! Our server gave meal suggestions that would go well with each wine. Hmm, I see a little dinner party in our future... ; p

     Along with the wine, we were served some yummy snacks which included homemade bread and the most delicious sausage (shipped from Tuscany) I have ever had. The last wine we sampled was a dessert wine which the server poured over pound cake, with fruit that had been marinated in the same wine, and wait for it... topped with whipped cream! Yes, it was as amazing as it sounds!

     How many bottles did we end up buying? We somehow controlled ourselves and only bought 3 bottles. If you like wine, I recommend checking it out. We will definitely be going back for another wine tasting after Aidan is weaned!
    

2 comments:

Marissa said...

haha and to think Luke and I thought you were going to church on Saturday! Little did we know you went to a winery!

I was stressing that Luke wasn't studying. he said, well, Aric isn't either because I saw him and Ashley leave.
Me: I wonder where they were going?

Luke: He was wearing a polo.

Me: Maybe church or something. Well, I feel better that Aric isn't studying.

and yes, we are psycho stalkers!

Unknown said...

haha, I like Marissa's comment! =P That looks like so much fun! Was it in town?? Blake and I really want to go to a winery. My dream is to go to one in California, but that won't be happening anytime soon lol Looks like Aidan had fun! Glad y'all got to have a family outing :)