Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pet Names...

    



     Honey. Sweetie. Babe. Baby. These are some of the common terms of endearment that people use for their spouse, fiance, girlfriend, or boyfriend. Yet, I have not once called Aric any of these things. It's just so-not-me and I'm starting to wonder if I'm only one that is, how should I put... pet-name-challenged?

     Frankly, I feel a significant amount of internal dissonance when I think about calling Aric honey, sweetie, babe, or baby by any pet name. Don't get me wrong, I think it's cute when other couples do it, I just don't (or can't). I have noticed it a lot more since moving to FL because most of our friends out here are couples and most, if not all, use a pet name to refer to one another.

     Why am I missing the Honey-Sweetie-Babe-Baby Gene?

     At first I thought that maybe Aric and I don't have that kind of relationship. We were best friends for years before we started dating so maybe we just got used to referring to each other as friends would (aka no lovey-dovey talk). However, most couples don't start calling each other 'Sweetie-Kins' 'Honey' on the second date so I don't think that has much to do with it. Also, Aric calls me 'Baby' all the time which further discredits this reasoning.

     Apparently, it's just me, not him. The only time I don't call someone by name is when someone goes by a shortened version. My friend Susan is known as 'Suz' by her close friends and my friend Brianna prefers to be called 'Brie;' but those are more like nicknames, not pet names, in my opinion.

     I don't have a very bubbly personality, but I'm not stoic. I'm affectionate and definitely a 'hugger,' much to the dismay of some of my less touchy-feely friends. So why wouldn't I use these touchy-feely, affection-filled words?!

     I honestly have no good answer for why I don't use pet names. I guess the most I can hope for is to know that I am not the only weirdo eccentric one out there.  So... am I the only one missing this seemingly dominant gene?

  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I honestly have never thought about whether someone DOESN'T use "pet names." If I shared all the names I call Blake then I'd probably be embarrassing myself, to be honest. (A lot of them started out as cutesy-jokes, but most have actually stuck!) I guess the most common one we use to call each other is "Babe." And he calls me "Gorgeous" a lot. He's done it since early on in our relationship. I also call him B for short. I actually probably call him by 'pet' names more than I do his actually name, that when I DO use his real name, it almost feels weird. And it's sometimes strange to hear him call me by my real name, too lol That just doesn't seem right now does it?!! haha I doubt you're the only one that doesn't use pet names, though!

p.s. When you say 'less touchy-feely friends' do you mean Marissa..??? hehe (j/k Marissa!)

Drew said...

I'm missing the pet names gene also. It just doesn't happen. J occasionally calls me baby and I always remind him that I'm not his baby, his wife, yes but baby? No. :-)

It's turned into a game for us but I still don't use the pet names. You're not alone!

Marissa said...

When I first started reading this post, I could tell it was gonna be a good one. I see how one would not use pet names. For the most part they all turn me off, especially honey and sweetie. The absolute only one that is decent, and this is what Luke calls me, is Buttercups. hahaha kidding! Babe is all we use. Or I use. I think Luke just calls me Riss. He used to use beautiful when we were dating, but long gone is that. Hopefully he reads this and starts using it again, cuz I liked it!

I don't think it is weird you guys don't use pet names. but could you at least use airbear?

signed, a less touchy-feely friend. :)

Sunrise628 said...

LOL that's funny. I do call my husband "babe" but I feel totally weird if I try to call him "baby" or "sweety" or any other pet name. "Babe" is more out of habit, I don't even know how we started that! Weird. I only call him Mike when I'm pissed off hehe.