Monday, October 18, 2010

New Perspectives

     This evening as I watched Aric wrestle with Aidan, I saw things from a different perspective. Usually, when this (almost) nightly ritual takes place and Dad takes over I think to myself, "Ah, I can finally turn off 'Mommy Mode' and take a moment for myself." I think most moms know that when I say 'moment', it really is only a moment because bath time, pj's, and bedtime start calling way too soon.
    
     On Aidan's less than happy days, I have definitely found myself daydreaming that I could trade places with Aric. I begin to think that I would gladly take all the horrible study marathons and killer four-hour tests just to get a break from the fussing baby in my lap. However, tonight I silenced my thoughts and opened my eyes and ears...

     Tonight as I watched my two favorite guys interact, I noticed that Aric was so happy to hold, kiss, tickle, and just soak up every ounce of that short moment he had with his son. Aric was so grateful to see Aidan smile, to hear him laugh, and watch him do all the little things that I see him do all day.  I was so touched to see how much he cherishes those oh-so-sweet morsels of time with Aidan that, even right now, I am getting a little choked up just writing about it. There are many days when Aric barely sees Aidan and there are some days when he doesn't see him at all. Needless to say, the time he does get to spend with Aidan is very precious to him. I always knew how special these father-son moments are for Aric, but was too caught up in my 'me-moment' thoughts to notice how special my mother-son days are.

     To see how grateful Aric is to witness all the little things that I, somewhat ungratefully, get to see him do everyday, really reminded to count my blessings. I was reminded just how lucky I am to be in 'Mommy Mode' all.day, ev.ery.day. I am so lucky and blessed to be able see all of Aidan's smiles, to hear all of his laughs, and to witness all of his milestones. This new perspective reminded me that I am even lucky and blessed to have either spit-up, breast milk, or baby food on my clothes everyday and to hear Aidan's whines and wails everyday. These are all priceless moments and I am so thankful that I am there to watch my son grow and learn. So tomorrow when if Aidan gets cranky, I will take a minute to remind myself that I don't want to be anywhere else but right there with my baby boy.

     A big THANK YOU to my husband for showing me what a beautiful gift it is to be in 'Mommy Mode' all.day, ev.ery.day!
    
Aidan waving while he tries to catch some zzz's in Daddy's arms.



Tough Love... making Aidan do some tummy time.


My two handsome men that adore each other!

4 comments:

Marissa said...

Great post! You write so well, you should write books. Mommy mode is tough, but it's the bomb. I feel strongly that you really can't be doing anything better than raising a family.

Unknown said...

I got teary-eyed just reading this. And I'll be right there with you soon, girl! =)

Rachel said...

I got teary-eyed too... You are wonderful mom Ash. There is nothing in the world that could ever compare to the value of a mother's love. Its something that it will always be remembered and all the fussy days will be washed away with one simple smile. Love you!

Lauren said...

b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.

seriously ashley, wow. great post!