Monday, November 29, 2010

Mommy Monday

Who knew our child was laid back and can go with the flow?! Yes, Aidan. The same baby that I described in my very first post as a lover of predictability. He has never been easy going and definitely preferred to stick to his daily routine... until now.

There are so many things he did, or didn't do, this weekend that pleasantly surprised me so I won't list all of them, but will share the biggies with ya. :)


~Pleasant Surprise One~
On Thanksgiving, he was an angel. We had some friends over for dinner and two of the guests are a couple that have a daughter. Although Aidan has spent plenty of time around her, he was less than fond of her. Anytime they were around each other, Aidan would cry and cry. No idea why, but it was definitely stressful and sad for me. This time Aidan was fine and even seemed to enjoy her company. I was ecstatic, to say the least! Also, he was fine with all of the 'strangers'. He let anyone hold him or get close to him and was totally friendly with all of our guests. I was so proud of him! 
Before you start thinking that I am 'That Mom' who thinks their child is perfect, I will confess that Aidan had a terrible morning on Thursday. He cried worse than ever before and fought his morning nap for over an hour. But this post is all about the positive so were gonna overlook that part. : p

~Pleasant Surprise Two~
We took a mini-vaca to Orlando Friday through Sunday and as excited as I was for the trip, I was also pretty anxious about how Aidan would fare with being out of his element. Well, all that anxiousness was unnecessary because Aidan was a superstar! He napped in the stroller while we shopped at Downtown Disney; he napped in church with a loud, boisterous, and echoing choir singing off and on throughout mass; AND he was fine with only getting a couple of cat naps each day. He didn't freak out about sleeping in an unfamiliar hotel room. I was in awe of him every second of every day this past weekend... I was so happy, but also feeling a little guilty about how much I underestimated him. Have I mentioned that I need to work on being more optimistic?!


Now, I know for some of you these are all things that your children do everyday and have done for weeks, months, or years, but Aidan hasn't and I never thought he would. It gave me confidence that maybe I have done a thing or two correctly in my career as his Mama and that I haven't completely screwed him up. I have new hope that he did get some of his dad's go-with-the-flow attitude which would be a true Godsend!
 To all the other mama's with less than easy going children that are worried about venturing out of the comfort zone, just try it.... you might just be pleasantly surprised when you discover that your child is more laid back than you think. Good Luck! 


Every post needs at least one pic, right?! Here's a couple from our Orlando trip...

He may be laid back now, but he's still our Tigger... bouncing all over the place and can't sit still for long!


We HAD to document his stroller nap!






2 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm so glad ALL of you enjoyed your trip! Loved the pics of the babe :)

Marissa said...

I am SO, SO, SO happy Thanksgiving went well. I didn't want us both to be stressing over the babes. And they both did really well. Yippity Skippity! I'm so happy he was so well behaved in Orlando. I want to talk to you more about Downtown Disney. We shall discuss this later :)