Wednesday, November 10, 2010

You Still There?

Did you think I deserted my four friends that read this blog? : p Don't worry, I didn't. It's just been a busy week.

Grammy (Aric's mom) visited us from CO most of last week. It was a fun and busy visit. She had not seen Aidan since July, so they had a lot of catching up to do. We went on a few outings, some lunches, and she definitely showered Aidan (and his parents) with lots of gifts, food, and love! Thank you for everything, Grammy!

Unfortunately, last Wednesday evening Aidan got sick. : ( At first it was just a fever and nothing else... not even a little fussiness. On Thursday, Aidan felt way too warm for mom's comfort. Sure enough, when we took his temp it was 104.2! Whoa! I promptly called his doctor for an appointment.

The wait seemed like it was for.ev.er long at the doc's office, but once Aidan was finally examined nothing turned up. Doctor's orders were to keep an eye on him and call if the temp went above 107 or he looked/acted more sick. My poor little guy was pretty tired and just feeling crummy so we just napped and cuddled on and off for the next couple of days. Aidan NEVER likes to cuddle, so this was one of the few positive side effects of him being under the weather... I was eating it up!

Finally, on Sunday morning he woke up with no fever. I thought it was a little strange that he had a high fever, with no other symptoms, that came and went so suddenly, but I didn't worry too much because the doctor wasn't concerned. Well... fast forward to Sunday afternoon... Aidan broke out in a rash. That's when I knew what it was. Roseola! How did I know? I have a degree in Google Search, duh! The doctor thought that it might be Roseola and I had heard about it from a friend on Babycenter.com (aka Facebook for Mom's that Love Drama and Occasional Advice).

What is Roseola? It's a strain of herpes. Eww, I know. Apparently, it is pretty common and children usually get it sometime between 3 months and 4 years. Luckily, once they get it they have a lifelong immunity to it. Since I am not a doctor and Aric is only a student doctor, if you want more info on Roseola click here.

Aidan handled the fever very well for how high it got. However, after the fever broke, he got extra fussy (and still kind of is). I can't wait for him to be completely back to his old, smiling self! I was also pleasantly surprised by how well I handled it all. I was fairly certain that if his temperature was ever anywhere above 102 I would have been dialing 911 while speeding driving to nearest ER! Over dramatic and anxious, much? Luckily, I remained calm and collected the whole time which I really think helped Aidan stay calm and relaxed. I guess Aidan is not the only one growing up. I am growing into a more confident and much less anxious mama than I was 8 months ago. I can only hope and pray for this trend to continue.



Sorry for rambling. This felt more like a diary entry than a blog post for me. I hope I didn't put everyone to sleep. If you read this whole thing, bless and thank you! :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I forgive you for deserting us... and I'm SO PROUD of you for handling Aidan's fever with poise. I agree that it helped Aidan stay calm. Way to go!! I'm sure I'll be calling you freaking out the first time Baby Girl is sick. Hope to see you this weekend! :o)

Marissa said...

I was going to ask you last night when you plan on posting again :)

Glad to hear he is doing a little better. See you this weekend!

Lauren said...

i heart reading your posts. more, please :)