Monday, December 20, 2010

Mommy Monday

Nursing Strike = Blog Hiatus

Please forgive me for neglecting my blog this past week. With Aric finishing up finals, a visit from Grammy and Papa [Aric's parents], and last, but definitely not least, Aidan's recent nursing strike I have been just a tad bit busy. Whew... I'm tired just from thinking about it all again!

First off, Aric is d.o.n.e. for the semester!!! That means we get him all.day.everyday for 2 whole weeks. It is going to be ahhhmazing. : D I am definitely a happy wifey!

Aidan [and Mama] are so happy that Dad is done for 2 WHOLE weeks! Wahoo!!


Aric's parents made a surprise trip down here bearing suitcases full of presents from Santa for all three of us. It's been great to have some family here somewhat close to Christmas since it will be our first one away from everyone. We all were quite spoiled by Santa this year... and that's just from one side of the family.

Look at all that 'loot' behind us! Thanks Grammy, Papa, and Grandpa Guerrero!!


Finally, Aidan's nursing strike. Yeah, not fun! I was blind-sided by it. One day he was nursing like he always has and the next he was fussing and pushing me away when he should have been eating away. By the third day, I was sure he was weaning. : ( I know 10 months is a great run for nursing, but I really had my sights set on 1 year and was not prepared for our nursing relationship to end. After talking to the pediatrician and consulting the all-knowing interwebz, I was slightly relieved to hear that it was more than likely a nursing strike and not weaning. 

Since Aidan refused to nurse during the day [he nursed like a champ during his normal night feeding], I had to return to the the dreaded pump. Ugh! I was pretty sure that I was not going to pump everyday for the next 2 months so I started to prepare myself for Aidan to wean. Fast forward to today, Aidan sort of 'snapped out of it' and started nursing regularly again [thank, thank, thank you]. He isn't completely back to his normal nursing sessions, but we are making progress. I will not push him to continue if he decides he is done with nursing, but as long as he seems to want to I will keep at it. Praying for 2 more months of interest so we can go straight to whole milk. Wish us luck!

Truer words were never said... and look at his face, "Who me? I would NEVER keep Mom up at night!" : p




If you read this, you must have stuck with me through the hiatus. Thank you for forgiving my absence! <3

8 comments:

Nadine said...

Oh I hope he keeps it up! You're a lucky girl...I'm dying to nurse my lil man but my girls just won't make enough milk. I'm lucky if I can pump enough for one feeding in one day. I've tried all the natural remedies I can think of.
Did you have any problems in the beginning? My guy is 6 weeks old now and he wants to nurse until the milk runs out (doesn't take more than a couple minutes) and then he gets mad. He seems to enjoy it though when he can. It makes me so sad. I've been back and forth with quitting all together...but just can't bring myself to give up entirely. Your little guy is so cute! I love his little teeth!!! ...and that onesie! So cute!

Christy said...

Just found your blog recently!! Love reading it. There is so much that I can relate to. Your sweet little guy is so handsome.
I can remember with my daughter (now 2) going through times of "strikes" with nursing. Good for you for not just throwing in the towel. It's so, so worth it in the end.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Of COURSE we stuck by you!! Momma's get busy - I know the feeling!! Hang in there with the nursing... my first went through a nursing strike and ended up going strong well past a year :) You can do it!
And that shirt cracked me up. So sweet! (And I really hope you get that present for Christmas! hehe)

PS
Thanks for all of your encouraging words. So glad I "met" you in this wonderful blogging world!!

Marissa said...

Strike!? That's crazy stuff! Funny shirt. SO TRUE. Aidan, you listen to me. Give your mommy a silent night!

Lauren said...

I'm so glad Mommy Monday's are back! I LOVE the family picture of the 3 of you.

Unknown said...

I love the picture of the three of you--you need more like it ;) And I'm SOOOO GLAD we have our hubbies back!! :)

Nadine said...

Hey sweetie :) Thanks for the comment! I'll definitely try the oatmeal...I'm up for whatever will work at this point. I didn't get the email unfortunately...you can email it to my hotmail account if you want, at nadinemdillard@hotmail.com. I'm sorry it didn't go through I hate when that happens. Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!! :)